Lenses For Computer Vision, Robotics, Video Conferencing, And More
Commonlands is a US-based company located in Los Angeles, CA. The company was founded in 2018 as a camera engineering and optical design services company within Carnegie Mellon University's Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship. The company's founder is an alumni of the University of Rochester's Institute of Optics, is part of the Zemax Consulting Partners Program, and worked for a top-3 automotive Tier 2 lens manufacturer.
The company relocated to California in 2020 and began to offer high-performance cost-effective lenses and related accessories. These are in use across the aerial robotics, autonomous vehicle, factory automation, medical, and VR industries.
Your US-Based Source For Optics
Our Products and Capabilities
We try to restock out of stock items within 2-3 weeks. The prices online are not indicative of volume (1kpc+) pricing.
Our supplier partnerships and our US optical/mechanical engineering expertise enable you to easily/accurately customize the F#, IP seal, filter, and/or mechanical design; NREs, MoQs, and lead-time may apply. Please contact us for more information.
Optical Design and Camera Engineering Services
We offer engineering and engineering program management consulting services for custom lens projects, image quality testing/tuning, camera mechanical engineering, active alignment, and mid-to-high volume (100kpcs+) customized projects. Our past projects have included:
- Advised on the development process for a consumer laser cutter's custom camera and illumination module. Responsible for a custom lens RFP down-selection process, and guiding the optical design, mechanical design, image quality test plan, and prototyping. Designed custom low-profile LED illumination module.
- Led hardware project management for a catadioptric video-conferencing camera startup. Project included 6+ prototype, EVT/DVT/PVT stages, resulting in successful product launch. Guided technical efforts related to optical design, mechanical design, and image quality tuning.
- Sourced lenses and implemented image quality testing techniques at a stereo-vision robotics company. Provided support on illumination, lens ruggedization, business strategy, and finance.
- Upgraded and sourced a new imaging system for a Seed-Stage agricultural imaging startup. Advised on ISP tuning and the camera calibration process.
- Reviewed camera performance and sourced new camera hardware for a Series B surveillance robotics startup.
- Defined first order camera module hardware requirements, and image quality test plan for an in-field weather and plant monitor for a Series B startup.
- Upgraded a new camera for a Series D robotic key copying kiosk startup.
- Designed an afocal viewfinder and developed image quality standards for a legacy US camera company.
- Defined go-to-market strategies for a Fortune 50 company's computer vision ecosystem.